Tuesday, March 8, 2011

GLSEN--Reflection

Hi everyone!! sorry I am so late posting this blog but my life has been crazy busy the past few weeks, with school, work, and now playing lacrosse for RIC.


After spending about an hour looking over the GLSEN website I found many things very interesting. I felt that I could relate to some topics and other things i found vey informational about.  I thought that this group does a lot of good for everyone. I personally liked the fact that they had a http://www.nonamecallingweek.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/news/record/199.html believe that is very important to have in any school because no matter what, students of all ages are being bullied not just because of their sexual orientation, but it could be a whole combination of many different things. No student should ever be made fun of because they are "different" because in reality everyone is different and that just makes you who you are. 



The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.

The above sentence is the firs line in the groups mission statement. I believe that it is important to live by that statement, and everyone needs to be accepting of the differences each person brings to the table. You dont get to choose who you are, but you do get to choose how you are, and how you accept and react to situations that are brought forward.  It is very important that everyone feels safe, and is able to express themselves freely with out having to worry what people think about them. That is why I feel GLSEN is a very important group. 



1 comment:

  1. I totally relate with life catching up on you and becoming crazy busy. A also like the whole flow/feeling of your post and agree with the last part- GLSEN is a very important group and I am glad that it is existent to educate and also act as a support group for those who need it.

    ReplyDelete