Sunday, February 13, 2011

White Privilege Knapsack.

I read the article White Privilege Knapsack by McIntosh. I thought it was very interesting and it talked about how people with white skin have this certain "power" over everyone, and they are the more privilege people.  I found this article very interesting because although racism has drastically decreased over the years, there are still many people all over the world how are racist to a certain degree.


A quote that i found very interesting was "White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks" I found this quote intresting because although the color of your skin should not matter, it does play a key role in todays society. If you are a white person. that gives you the upper hand in many situations. Its almost like you are getting extra credit for having white skin.  You are given the upper hand in many situations, and although you may not deserve it you are getting it.  Racism is such a horrible thing, but it wil take a long time before it is fully gone, and abolished. There will always be people who believe that whites are superior to everyone else,  but they need to learn that everyone should have an equal playing field, and it should not matter about the color of your skin.


This article brought up many key points that I found interesting, and it also made me realize a lot of things.  Being from a majority white town, and growing up with all white people, I did not get to experience a diverse lifestyle. I think learning about peoples backgrounds, and differnt races can be very helpful, and rewarding especailly in the field of teaching, when every student has a different story. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you say Stephanie. I am also from a primarily white town and though we did have some minorities, the white majority was still pretty clueless to their struggles. Taking in to account students from diverse backgrounds will be very helpful as teachers. Nice Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with everything you said Steph. You know I come from a very diverse high school so I know that feeling of a diverse lifestyle. Maybe I should share some experiences with you sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see this piece really resonated with you! (Be sure to label your posts -- was this one QUOTES? If so make sure to include three).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you said: "Its almost like you are getting extra credit for having white skin." Not true, but thats the way its portrayed...
    I'm also from a town where the majority is whites, and it's harder to understand a diverse lifestyle. But reading these articles helps to open your eyes to different things, as well as being in the teaching field your able to see many living styles.

    ReplyDelete